Keens Chop House

Keens Chop House
She's old, but still catches your eye

Pipes Galore

Pipes Galore
90000 Pipes are stored here

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Reclaiming History - One Pipe at a Time


In 1976, my father took me to Keens Chop House in New York City. I was a Cadet at the United States Military Academy at West Point. He was on a business trip. Years before, when he was a college student at Manhattan College, and working on the second tube of the Lincoln Tunnel, Keens Chop House was one of his regular spots. It was then that he first joined the Pipe Club, and had his pipe stored with the pipe warden at Keens.

Keens had a history of being at one time, a Pipe Smoking Club, where individuals would leave a "chuch warden" pipe, made of clay with a long stem. In those days, the clay pipe was too fragile to be put in a purse or handbag, so individuals left their pipes at the inn inder the care of the Pipe Warden. So in 1976, when smoking was still allowed in New York City, it had been a number of years since he had been to Keens, but it was still a smoking establishment, with each table featuring a tin of tobacco in the center, and large smoke-sucking fans, keeping the air clear.

When he called for his pipe, a waiter brought him his pipe with his serial number and signature. My Dad was actually amazed because it had been so long. Naturally, I joined the pipe club that night, signed my pipe and turned it over to be stored when dinner was finished. For years I kept the card, even when I had heard that Keens had closed down (not knowing if it would reopen).

In the years since I graduated from West Point, a career in the Army, and being moved around in my businesses, I am not sure I can find my pipe card. My father passed away in 2003, and I may or may not be able to find his card either. But I am on a mission to honor the memory of my father and see if I can locate our pipes.

I tell you that story to tell you this one:

Last week I was in New York City for the first real time since about 1980. I went to Keens Chop House. From the outside it is very non-descript - to the point that you had better know what you are looking for if you are to find it. Inside it had not changed from the time I remember it. It is a real old school classic in the heart of NYC that maintains the traditions of yore and a decor to match. 90,000 pipes are racked on the ceiling in each of 4 restaurant rooms, as well as along many of the walls. I was able to identify precisely where my father and I had sat 32 years ago.

I asked the Maitre D' if I would be allowed to take photos of this Excellent establishment and proceeded to tell him my historical tale asking if there was a way to find my pipe and that of my father. He told me that if I had the card (s) they would certainly be able to find the pipe.

WhenI returned from New York, I wrote to Keens asking about how to go about finding the pipes. I know that at one time there was a registry of pipe holders. I do not actually recall if I signed a registry in 1976 or not. I also know that that registry has many distinguished signatures and as such, is a true treasure, that demands the utmost care. On the chance that I and my father did sign the registry, I asked if there was any possibility that I would be allowed (with
assistance) to look at the registry to try and find our pipes. Within 2 hours, I received a call from the General Manager, who told me that the search is on.

Some things are worth following up, if for no other reason thanto preserve history and the tales of our forefathers.



Aft

No comments: